Friday, November 9, 2012

The failed Dragon Fruit plantation

I has seen a number of dragon fruit plantations were abandoned in Malaysia. I always thought it it is a viable business, the price of the fruit in the market is quite high, the maintenance cost is rather reasonable. I just wonder what made it a failure.

Kuala Lipis..This is another plantation near Kuala Lipis. It must had been abandoned for more than 1 year. The whole area had already engulfed by other trees. Soon the dragon tree will die.

Raub Plantation


The photo on the left is a plantation in Pahang Malaysia, near a little town of Raub.

Every time I went to visit my parents, I was too happy to stop and check on the fruits.

They seem to be doing well, I could see each tree has fruit, some can bear about 5 to 10. If they can sell each fruit for $2, there will be a rather high income.

I known that the initial investment to start the plantation is high. The seedlings alone is costly. The concrete pillars easily cost abou $20 each. You add the cost of labor, then it can easily reach $50.00 per plant.

It is sad to see the failed dragon fruit plantation, when the customers demand has started to pick up.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, I would really like to visit a dragonfruit plantation. Can you tell me more about this farm or maybe how to go there? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete